Family TLC FAQ
Some of our clients may be able to use their benefits to pay for the services of Family TLC. This depends on the nature of your policy. If you wish to do so, it is your responsibility to know what your benefits cover, and what the therapist credentials need to be to correspond with your coverage. If you have questions about direct billing, please contact us directly to find out more about how this works.
We recommend you find out your benefits prior to contacting Family TLC. This is so Client Services can ensure they are matching you with the therapist that best fits your service needs, and potential benefit coverage.
While Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Social Workers are not authorized to prescribe medication, we use holistic therapy strategies that aid in achieving long lasting results. If you require medication, our therapists will support you through the process and provide any resources that could benefit in your health and wellness.
There is a free intake process that is done through Client Services. This is a 15 minute consultation that can be done via phone or email. Client Services will book you in for your first appointment and will notify you of all the necessary information for your first session. We recommend you fill out all intake forms prior to the first appointment. This will give the therapist more time to focus on your counselling, as opposed to completing the paperwork in the session.
When you meet with your therapist for the first time, this is an initial appointment and payment will be collected upon arrival.
Each counselling session has a set fee. Payment will be collected by your therapist at the beginning of your appointment with cash, cheque, credit card or debit.
In some circumstances, third party funding may be applicable.
Check with your extended benefits to see if these services may be fully or partially covered. Please inform Client Services of what therapist credentials your benefits cover.
Private counselling is an investment and we want to do our best to ensure you get great value. Client Services selects the therapist based on a variety of your counselling needs such as; the type of therapy, your availability, finances and benefit coverage.
The hourly per session rate for a Family TLC Therapist is between $130 and $160. While there is a set hourly rate, you can speak to your therapist about adjusting your appointment frequency to meet your counselling monthly budget.
If finances are a concern we do have a student intern that can provide some counselling services on a sliding scale rate.
Specialized services may be a different rate, please call to find out!
We do have a 2 business day cancellation policy. Providing you give 2 business days’ notice, you will not be charged for cancelled appointments. We ask you respect the therapist’s time just as the therapist respects yours. If you notify us without 2 business days’ notice and it is an emergency there is no charge. However if you do not provide sufficient notice the therapist will charge a no show or cancellation fee.
Our services are confidential and no one at Family TLC will release your name or information about you or your counselling to anyone outside of Family TLC’s office without your informed, voluntary and written consent.
All professionals who work with Family TLC clients sign a confidentiality agreement and agree to keep all discussions about Family TLC clients confidential and private.
At Family TLC all of the therapists are regulated professionals with over 50 years of combined experience. Our therapists have graduated with their Master’s degree and are either governed by the regulatory bodies of the Ontario College of Social Work or the Ontario College of Registered Psychotherapist, or accredited through supervision. There are weekly on-site supervisions to ensure the therapists are meeting Family TLC standards.
We are selective about the therapists that work with Family TLC. We ensure that the therapists have the experience and skills that are essential in counselling. Each family therapist at Family TLC has a different area of concentration and additional training in this area.
Through your customized care plan, your therapist will use the best therapeutic approach with the intention to help you achieve your goals.
At Family TLC it is important to us that you get the most of your first and every counselling session. We encourage you to do the following six things to prepare:
- Answer all questions on the Intake form in detail so your therapist can review in advance. Read through our “Information for Clients” and “Practice and Privacy Policies.” By completing all of this ahead of time, you can ensure that your counselling session can focus on answering your questions and commencing the therapeutic process.
- Write down any questions you have.
- Embrace your nervousness. It is normal to feel nervous when you meet someone for the first time. Be assured that your counsellor is highly trained and experienced in making people feel comfortable.
- Congratulate yourself. At Family TLC our clients are all successful people who, like you, are investing in themselves by taking the time to get expert help and create a plan for success.
- Ask yourself what you want to accomplish through counselling.
- View the Family TLC 7-Step Guarantee to know what you can expect from us.
Congratulations on being motivated enough to take the first steps towards dealing with your concerns. We are confident that you and your therapist will work well together at creating long-lasting solutions.
The therapists each have different days and hours of availability and work by appointment. Family TLC has appointments Monday through Thursday 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. Fridays 9:00 am to 7:00 pm and Saturdays 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
Please specify what your daily and hourly availability is with Client Services (available 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM) when you contact; they will select a therapist that meets all your needs. Our Family TLC professionals will arrange an appointment that works best for you.
Family TLC appreciates the benefit of keeping up with modern technology. We can provide counselling by telephone or video counselling to those who are not able to attend the session in person.
Video counselling can be provided through a private secure video software. You will be asked to download the video software, which can be done on any device including computer, tablet or mobile phone.
Video counselling is a great option for those who need counselling; but would be driving a distance to the office, have busy schedules, or just prefer to do it from the comfort of their home.
If this option is of interest to you, call Client Services to find out more information.
You do not require a referral to book with Family TLC. The free intake process with Client Services can be done over the phone or by email. This typically takes around 15 minutes.
- The first step is contacting Family TLC. You can contact us by phone or through the Contact Us form.
Note: If you are not connected with Client Services right away, please leave a voicemail or note on the form of your preferred method of contact (phone or email). We will do our best to get back to you within 1 business days.
- Once connected with Client Services, you will go through the basic contact information such as name, phone number, and email address.
- Client Services will then ask a few questions in regards to your counselling. This is so that they can get a better understanding of your counselling needs, and match you with the appropriate therapist.
- Once the therapist is hand selected for you, the first appointment can be booked based on your availability as well as the therapist’s schedule. We have no wait lists and we can generally get you in within 2 to 7 days.
- Client Services will then ensure you are prepared for your first appointment by providing you with the necessary information in the Appointment Confirmation email.
We suggest you fill out the electronic intake forms prior to your first appointment. This allows for the therapist to spend more time in your appointment to be focused on your concerns.
Call Client Services and they will help you through this process!
For Child Counselling (Under 16), in all cases, we ask that the Child Intake form and the Information for Clients be filled out by the custodial parent(s) before the first scheduled appointment.
- If the parents are married/together: the parents (or one parent) will come in alone without the child for the first appointment. After that, the child will come in with or without the parent (depending on the child’s comfort level) to meet the therapist.
- If the parents are separated/divorced- All custodial parents must provide permission.
- If one parent has sole custody, we need documented paperwork that outlines the custody prior to the first appointment. After receiving this, the first appointment will be attended by this parent.
- If it is joint custody or custody is not established we need verbal or written consent from both parents. We have a document that can be signed that states consent has been obtained. We give each parent equal opportunity to meet with the therapist in session (this can be individually or together) before the child attends.
Please Call Client Services for more information.
We are located at 91 Toronto Street, Barrie, ON. We are located right beside cakes by design.
There are several paid parking areas in front of Family TLC. This is just until construction is complete for our parking lot.
Please find the main entrance in the front, there is wheelchair access with a ramp at the back of the building.
We have over 20,000 hours under our belt and growing. We offer strategies that are easy to apply and ensure clients make lasting changes in their lives.
Family TLC clients feel cared for because we are available and offer knowledge and strategies that are specific to you. We look forward to meeting with you and assisting you to bring clarity to yourself, your family, your community or your organization.
Our 7-Step Guarantee provides you with confidence in what you can expect from Family TLC.