At Family TLC it is important to us that you get the most of your first and every counselling session. We encourage you to do the following five things to prepare:
- Do your homework. Answer all questions on the Intake form in detail so your therapist can review in advance. Read through our “Information for Clients” and “Practice and Privacy Policies.” By completing all of this ahead of time, you can ensure that your counselling session can focus on answering your questions and commencing the therapeutic process.
- Write down any questions you have. This will help you remember your priorities even when you’re caught up in the moment at your appointment.
- Embrace your nervousness. It is normal to feel nervous when you meet someone for the first time, and it’s actually a very positive sign because it shows that you care about the process. If you are invested in your counselling you will be more successful. Be assured that your counsellor is highly trained and experienced in making people feel comfortable.
- Congratulate yourself. At Family TLC our clients are all successful people who, like you, are investing in themselves by taking the time to get expert help and create a plan for success.
- Ask yourself what you want to accomplish through counselling. Remember to frame it in the positive. Rather than saying, “I want to deal with my anxiety,” say, “I want to live each day feeling relaxed and calm.” If you know where you are going it is much easier to get there.
Congratulations on being motivated enough to take the first steps towards dealing with your concerns. We are confident that you and your specialist will work well together at creating long-lasting solutions.