Parenting through divorce can be challenging. Use these two lists to keep your family healthy.
- Always think about what is in your child’s best interests.
- Go out of your way to ensure that your ex is included in your child’s life.
- Be flexible.
- Reassure your child that they are loved, the divorce is not their fault, and neither parent is going to abandon them.
- Remember that children going through a divorce worry about themselves as well as each of their parents – speak openly about these worries so you can reassure them.
- Give the child permission to express their feelings freely. Be a model by sharing your own feelings appropriately.
- Take care of yourself so your child can be a child and not your caregiver.
- Follow through on commitments and promises.
- Discuss any proposed schedule changes directly with the other parent.
- Respect the other parent’s scheduled time with children and do not schedule plans that will conflict.
- Be willing to support and encourage extended family relationships.
- Create a calendar for the children so they always know their schedule.